Anyone with an ounce of sense realized a long time ago that President Donald Trump is only playing his supporters. He’s catering to his base. He is blatantly doing anything and everything that he knows will impress his supporters.
Not that he would be trying to distract from all the nonsense with Russia. Say it ain’t so.
Late last night, Trump posted the above tweet. There are several things wrong with it, so I’ll get right to it:
1) ALL CAPS. I was writing in all caps back when I was like nine years old and didn’t know the purpose of the SHIFT key. Besides, in the computer world, ALL CAPS symbolizes yelling, and yelling doesn’t make you correct, nor sound any tougher. You are just loud.
2) EMPTY THREAT. Yes…it’s empty, and here’s why. Iran has had Twitter blocked since 2009. So it’s a little pointless to post something there hoping that a president, in a country that has that medium blocked, would see it.
3) NO PRESS CONFERENCE/BRIEFING? In response to what you’re likely thinking of what I wrote for #2, you may say, “Well the media will still broadcast this and it will be all over the news, so the Iranian president will still see it.” Okay, fair enough, but why not just kill all that and do it as a press conference/briefing to begin with? That will get to him far faster than writing it in a place that is blocked from his country and just waiting for him to see it. I mean, that was the entire purpose, right?
4) A DISTRACTION FROM RUSSIA. This isn’t anything new. As tough as he pretends to be about Russia, for starters, he couldn’t even tell Russian President Vladimir Putin to his face that he needs to STOP meddling in our election process. Then he gets back and backtracks, claiming to have “misspoken.” Since a lot of time is dedicated to Trump and his nonsensical tweets, this was likely done to distract from the hole he dug himself there. Not that most of us with good sense cannot multitask.
5) HE BERATED FORMER PRESIDENT OBAMA FOR POSSIBLY DOING THE SAME. Nahhhhh. Yep. And it wouldn’t be the first time. But here are some tweets during Obama’s term in office:
- “In order to get elected, @BarackObama will start a war with Iran.” – Donald Trump, Nov. 29, 2011
- “Now that Obama’s poll numbers are in tailspin – watch for him to launch a strike in Libya or Iran. He is desperate.” – Donald Trump, Oct. 9, 2012
- “I predict that President Obama will at some point attack Iran in order to save face!” – Donald Trump, Sep. 16, 2013
- “Remember what I previously said – Obama will someday attack Iran in order to show how tough he is.” – Donald Trump, Sep. 25, 2013
Yes, Mr. President. We remember what you “previously said.” Hence the reason you’re doing it now.
And last but not least:
6) TO IMPRESS HIS BASE. I already mentioned this above, but to elaborate, it’s pretty simple. He knows the mindset of his supporters. He knows that he doesn’t actually have to do anything to rile them up to cheer him on and berate Democrats, especially Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. He knows they are simple-minded enough to be charged up over the mere use of all caps in a tweet. He knows that most of them don’t care that he has already proven that he doesn’t have the guts to say anything to someone’s face as shown recently with Putin. He knows they’ll simply say that he was “tougher” to say all this and Barack Obama did not. And lastly, he knows that they will support him no matter what.
After all, didn’t he say that in January 2016? That he could “shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose voters”?
So congratulations, Trump supporters…
…he got you AGAIN.